Terms and Conditions of Marine Survey Australia
1. “Surveyor”/”Consultant” is the Surveyor/Consultant trading under these conditions. “Client” is the party at whose request or on whose behalf the Surveyor/Consultant undertakes surveying services. “Report” means any report or statement supplied by the Surveyor/Consultant in connection with instructions received from the Client. “Disbursements” means the cost of all reasonable photography, reproduction of drawings, diagrams, sketches and printing, duplicating and, where applicable, electronic transmission fees, and all reasonable and appropriate expenses including travel, refreshments and hotel accommodation where an overnight stay is necessary. “Fees” means the fees charged by the Surveyor/Consultant to the Client and including any goods and services tax where applicable and any Disbursements.
2. Scope The Surveyor/Consultant shall provide its services solely in accordance with these conditions.
3. Work The Client will set out in writing the services which it requires the Surveyor/Consultant to provide. The Surveyor/Consultant will confirm in writing that it accepts those instructions or alternatively what services it will perform in connection with the Client’s instructions. Once the Surveyor/Consultant and the Client have agreed what services are to be performed (the Services) any subsequent changes or additions must be agreed by both parties in writing.
4. Payment Terms The Client shall pay the Surveyor/Consultant’s Fees punctually in accordance with these conditions prior to the work being completed and only if agreed not later than 30 days following the relevant invoice date, or in such other manner as may have been agreed in writing between the parties. Any delay in payment shall entitle the Surveyor/Consultant to interest at 10% above the invoice amount.
5. Obligations and Responsibilities
(a) Client: The Client undertakes to ensure that full instructions are given to the Surveyor/Consultant in writing and are provided in sufficient time to enable the required Services to be performed effectively and efficiently and to procure all necessary access for the Surveyor/Consultant to goods, premises, vessels, installations and transport and to ensure that all appropriate safety measures are taken to provide safe and secure working conditions. The Surveyor/Consultant shall not be liable for any loss or damage, resulting from late, incomplete, inadequate, inaccurate or ambiguous instructions.
(b) Surveyor: The Surveyor/Consultant shall use reasonable care and skill in the performance of the Services in accordance with sound marine surveying/consulting practice.
(c) Reporting: The Surveyor/Consultant shall submit a final written Report to the Client following completion of the agreed Services describing the Surveyor’s/Consultant’s findings and the condition and/or quality of the object and/or purpose of the assignment, unless otherwise expressly instructed by the Client not to do so.
(d) Confidentiality: The Surveyor/Consultant undertakes not to disclose any information provided in confidence by the Client to any third party and will not permit access to such information by any third party unless the Client expressly grants permission save where required to do so by an order of a competent court of law. If information is provided by the Client in confidence the Client undertakes to make it clear in writing what information is provided in confidence.
(e) Property: The right of ownership in respect of all original work created by the Surveyor/Consultant remains the property of the Surveyor/Consultant.
(f) Conflict of Interest/Qualification: The Surveyor/Consultant shall promptly notify the Client of any matter including conflict of interest or lack of suitable qualifications and experience, which would render it undesirable for the Surveyor/Consultant to continue its involvement with the appointment. The Client shall be responsible for payment of the Surveyor/Consultant’s Fees up to the date of notification.
(a) Without prejudice to Clause 7, the Surveyor/Consultant shall be under no liability whatsoever to the Client for any loss, damage, delay or expense of whatsoever nature, whether direct or indirect and howsoever arising UNLESS same is proved to have resulted solely from the negligence, gross negligence or wilful default of the Surveyor/Consultant or any of its employees or agents or sub-contractors.
(b) Where the Australian Consumer Law consumer guarantees do not apply and in the event that the Client proves that the loss, damage, delay or expense was caused by the negligence, gross negligence or wilful default of the Surveyor/Consultant aforesaid then, save for where loss, damage, delay or expense has resulted from the Surveyor’s/Consultant’s personal act or omission committed with the intent to cause same or recklessly and with knowledge that such loss, damage, delay or expense would probably result, the Surveyor’s/Consultant’s liability for each incident or series of incidents giving rise to a claim or claims shall never exceed a sum calculated on the basis of ten times the Surveyor’s/Consultant’s charges or Australian $100,000, whichever is the lesser.
(c) Notwithstanding anything set out in these conditions, they are subject to the Australian Consumer Law as set out in Schedule 2 of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 if and to the extent consumer guarantees apply to this Contract and prevent the exclusion, restriction or modification of any such consumer guarantee. The liability of the Surveyor/Consultant, if any, for breach of any consumer guarantee which applies (other than where the Services are of a kind ordinarily acquired for personal, domestic or household consumption) shall be limited at the option of the Surveyor/Consultant to the supply of the Services again or the payment of having the Services supplied again.
(d) The Surveyor/Consultant shall not be liable for loss of or damage to equipment and other items placed at its disposal by or on behalf of the Client however such loss or damage occurs.
7. Indemnity Except to the extent and solely for the amount therein set out that the Surveyor/Consultant would be liable under Clause 6, the Client hereby undertakes to keep the Surveyor/Consultant and its employees, agents and sub-contractors indemnified and to hold them harmless against all actions, proceedings, claims, demands or liabilities whatsoever or howsoever arising which may be brought against them or incurred or suffered by them, and against and in respect of all costs, loss, damages and expenses (including legal costs and expenses on a full indemnity basis) which the Surveyor/Consultant may suffer or incur (either directly or indirectly) in the course of providing the Services under these Conditions.
8. Force Majeure Neither the Surveyor/Consultant nor the Client shall, except as otherwise provided in these conditions, be responsible for any loss, damage, delay or failure in performance hereunder arising or resulting from act of God, act of war, seizure under legal process, quarantine restrictions, strikes, boycotts, lockouts, riots, civil commotions and arrest or restraint of princes, rulers or people.
9. Insurance The Surveyor/Consultant shall effect and maintain, at no cost to the Client, Professional Liability Insurance for such loss and damage for which the Surveyor/Consultant may be held liable to the Client under these terms and conditions.
10. Surveyor’s/Consultant’s Right to Sub-contract The Surveyor/Consultant shall have the right to sub-contract any of the services provided under these conditions, subject to the Client’s right to object on reasonable grounds. In the event of such a sub-contract the Surveyor/Consultant shall remain fully liable for the due performance of its obligations under these conditions.
11. Time Bar The Survey/Consultant shall be discharged of all liability in respect of any claim for loss, damage, delay or expense suffered by the Client unless, within 12 months from the date on which the Surveyor/Consultant submits a final report to the client (or, if not report is issued, the date on which the report would have been issued), suit is brought against the Surveyor/Consultant in the proper forum and written notice thereof is received by the Surveyor/Consultant.
12. Jurisdiction and Law These conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Australia and any dispute shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the various Australian Courts. Client: I understand these terms and conditions.