Website Logo Website Logo
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I choose a Marine Surveyor?

There are many people advertising themselves as Marine surveyors. There is no legal requirement for qualifications, however there is no substitute for experience, qualifications, training and continuous professional development.


For reassurance you should look for membership of a regulatory body as they monitor and maintain the standards of the surveys and reports, they also can provide redress if there is cause for complaint. You should also ensure that the surveyor is accredited with AMSA and at least one other certifying authority. A professional surveyor should also have Professional indemnity and Public Liability insurance.


Choose a surveyor that explains your vessel survey to you in plain English so you can react appropriately, request a work or defects list that you can work with.


When you are selecting your surveyor, you should:

Ask what hands on experience they have

Ask what practical training they have

Ask what regulating body they are part of

Agree to review their insurance certificate if you wish to contract them


Maritime Survey Australia employs only AMSA accredited surveyors who come with experience as a Marine Engineer, Master, Naval Architect or Shipwright. All our surveyors are members of certifying authority the International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS) or the Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA) or the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).

This website uses cookies from third party services to offer you a better experience. Read about how we use cookies and how you can control them by clicking "Privacy Preferences".
Privacy Preferences
Save Settgins
Privacy Policy