James is a qualified Naval Architect and AMSA accredited Marine Surveyor with over 20 years experience working as a Marine Surveyor and Naval Architect in Australia and overseas. James holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Naval Architecture and a Diploma in Marine Surveying. He is also a member of MRINA and MAIMS.
James joined Maritime Survey Australia in 2018 after two and a half years with BMT and a decade working with Marine Safety regulators, namely the Department of Transport in Western Australia and Marine Safety Victoria as a Senior Marine Surveyor/Naval Architect. During this time, James had a senior role in the initial and periodic survey of domestic commercial vessels which included plan approval, construction inspections, stability assessments, sea trials, annual surveys and modifications. In addition, James also provided expertise in Safety Management Systems for domestic commercial vessels.
Previously, James has also worked with London Offshore Consultants providing Marine Warranty Survey services to the Oil and Gas Industry and at BMT providing Marine Survey and Naval Architecture services to the Commercial and Defence industries.
Current AMSA Accreditations:
- Initial survey—plan approval
- Initial survey—stability approval
- Initial survey—load line—assignment
- Initial survey—electrical—extra low voltage
- Initial survey—construction or alteration—hull, deck and superstructure
- Initial survey—construction or alteration—machinery
- Initial survey—construction or alteration—load line conditions and markings
- Initial survey—construction or alteration—equipment
- Initial survey—construction or alteration—commissioning
- Periodic survey
- Periodic survey—load line
- Survey of safety equipment
- Survey of communications equipment